Display

Look at that pretty thing! I got it from our School Store over at NYC Resistor. It’s a four bit parallel LCD display, white on blue. Werry naice!

Right now it’s just serving as a data readout. Ultimately it will be used as the tweaking interface for the puppet suit, so that in the field we can avoid having to use a computer to make small changes.  We’ll be using the onboard EEPROM on the AVR to store those changes.

The unit is the ARDUINO LCD-shield V1.1 from nuelectronics.com.

here’s a simplified version of the code I used:

#include <LiquidCrystal.h>  //include the library that does all the heavy lifting
LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 11, 5, 4, 3, 2);   // initialize the library with the numbers of the interface pins
lcd.begin(16, 2); // set up the LCD's number of rows and columns: 
lcd.setCursor(0, 1); //put the cursor where we want it
lcd.print("I'd rather get a bike!!!"); // Print a message to the LCD

That’s it!

Advertisements

4 Responses to “Display”

  1. random guy Says:

    Site = excellent, but you should try to turn off the wordpress image preview thing… it’s useless since you already show the images at reasonable size.

    Good luck with the lip synch!

  2. Hey, your project looks interesting. I’m going to bookmark it and see what you get up to (saw it on Hack a Day).

    I thought you might find this video of an animatronic mannikin I built a few years ago interesting (or maybe not)

    It ran on a New Micros controller, had (IIRC) 15 channels of servq — in fact, the whole figure was basically servos joined together with connection bits I fabricated.

    The idea behind it was that it would move into position, fire off an IR or Bluetooth signal to a controller that would take a picture, get a confirmation of the shot back, move itself to the next position, then move to the next pose, and so on. The YouTube video doesn’t show that, it’s just the figure going through each step as fast as it can, without the pause for the camera. I did shoot some stop-motion, and if you allowed for the figure to settle, it was very smooth.

    It was a really fun project. There was supposed to be a next stage, where more servos were added to control below the waist. That exceeded the maximum channels avaialable on the device I was using, so I had a design put together that used super-tiny microcontrollers that could run 16 channels each, giving me 32. They were small enough to fit inside a slightly expande torso. It would have been a major wiring job, though, and that was what stopped me.

    I still have the torso. I had written a controller program that ran in OSX that allowed you to edit and test each movement, with a graphing system that showed visually the actions of each joint. I somehow lost that code in the pre-SVN days when a computer melted down, another contributor to the halting of the project.

    I’ve wanted to go back to that project for a long time, but never could get out from under the other things I’ve had to do. Maybe you’ll be an inspiration….

    Good luck with it!

    • raphaelabrams Says:

      I love the idea of using a robot to place stop-motion subjects automatically. That’s really clever!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: